Michael Coulter’s Top Tasks
January is the month of many tasks in the garden. To keep plants healthy and in full production it is important to have a regular schedule of work that involves weeding, watering, harvesting and replanting for a continual supply or fruit, vegetables and flowers.
- It is better to try and have any tasks completed before about 10am to avoid the very hot part of the day.
- Watering may be needed 2 or 3 times a day if it is very hot just watch out for the hot water in the hose it can be almost at boiling.
- In the hot dry Summer pests like thrips, mites and whitefly will be around so look out for them and spray to control them.
- Dead-head the spent flowers on roses, annuals and perennials to encourage more flowers.
- Shrubs will benefit from a good mulch and a regular deep watering especially during the period of the new growth that will give the next flowering.
- Lemon trees need plenty of water and feeding right now if you are to avoid having small dry fruit later on.
- Lawns will benefit from regular watering and feeding and not mowing too low, it can be difficult to get a very dry lawn green again while it is hot.
- Now is the time to enjoy the garden and see the results of the work done in the Spring so just spend enough time in the garden to keep it right and then relax in it and enjoy the Summer.