Even diehard beetroot-haters enjoy this deep red alternative to chutney. It’s a spectacular accompaniment to cold meat, a ploughman’s lunch or as part of an antipasto plate.
- 1kg beetroot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 400g onion, peeled and finely chopped
- few sprigs of thyme, stems removed
- 1 fresh chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup oil
- freshly ground salt and papper to taste.
- Put all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a low heat. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring regularly to prevent sticking. Pour into hot sterilised jars, allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to a month.
From ‘A Good Harvest, recipes from the gardens of Rural Women New Zealand’