From: Canterbury Horticultural Society
Date: 20 August 2015
Keep the Garden City blooming
It’s time for Christchurch residents and organisations to start getting their gardens ready for the Canterbury Horticultural Society Spring Garden Awards.
Keen gardeners, young or old are invited to take part in the Awards and to help the city flourish through the rebuild. Gold, Silver, Bronze and Merit awards can be won as well as a Premier Garden Award for the best garden from all categories.
Whether your garden is from a private home or student flat, preschool or university, workplace or workshop we would love to see it.
The Awards are a way of acknowledging the great work home gardeners, landscape designers, urban planners, teachers and employed gardeners are doing – and a chance for just a little bit of showing off for all the hard yards on the ground.
There is a category for every garden, no matter how big or small!
- Large Residential – properties over 900 sq m
- Medium Residential – properties 501 sq m to 900 sq m
- Small Residential – properties up to 500 sq m (inc flats/townhouses)
- New Home & Garden – house and garden less than 3 years old. No size restraints
- Pocket Garden – any domestic project less than 100 sq m
- New Zealand Native Garden – celebrating all things native. No size restraints
Public or Commercial Gardens:
- Businesses and Institutions – accommodation, business, factory and institution gardens
- Schools & Learning Centres – preschools, schools, colleges and universities
- Retirement Homes & Respite Care – retirement homes, hospices and respite care facilities
- Community Space – for any outdoor community space excluding schools
We would love to see some new gardens and meet some new gardeners, so if you know anyone who has worked hard on a garden – for home, school or work, why not nominate them today (just make sure you get their approval first)!
Entrants whose garden gains an award receive a certificate at the CHS Spring Garden Awards function and a complimentary membership to the CHS.
The competition closes on Wednesday 30 September with judging taking place on Saturday 3 October. Entry is free.
Entry forms are available from the CHS office in Hagley Park or from our website www.chsgardens.co.nz.
Image: Janet & Brian Lovelock with the 2015 Summer Premier Garden Award