A fabulous winter soup from Auckland’s Cin Cin on the Quay
- 1 each: large onion, celery stalk, small leek thinly sliced, bay leaf
- 2 each: gallic cloves peeled, thyme sprigs,
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup wine
- 8 cups chicken, vegetable or lamb stock
- 1 kg of red-skinned kumara, peeled and cubed
- 1 small orange, quartered, skin left on
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cream (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted and coriander to garnish
- Slowly cook the onion, celery, leek, bay leaf, garlic and thyme in the butter and oil in a large saucepan for at least 5 minutes, until very soft and sweet.
- Add the white wine and reduce until there is a little liquid remaining.
- Add the stock, kumara and orange. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and season. Cook until the kumara is very tender. Add the cream and remove the pan from heat. Remove the bay leaf.
- While still hot, carefully blend the soup, including the orange, with a hand held blender until it is very smooth (or puree in a food processor)
- Sieve and check the seasoning. Serve topped with a few cumin seeds and fresh coriander leaves.
Please follow and like us: